English Premier League
Barcelona return for Joao Cancelo offers Hansi Flick selection surprise
Joao Cancelo is set to make his return for Barcelona against Elche on Sunday after being officially registered in La Liga, with Hansi Flick indicating that the Portugal defender could play a significant part in the league fixture.
Spanish newspaper Sport reports that Flick has already told Cancelo he will be given “specific minutes” despite the player having taken part in only two Barcelona training sessions since joining the squad. The coaching staff have not ruled out the possibility of Cancelo starting, although his involvement is expected to be managed carefully.
Cancelo’s return could have particular significance for Alejandro Balde, who is his direct rival for the left-back position. Flick has stressed that every member of the squad must remain fully committed to the team’s plans, in a message that also applies to Balde.
“I need everyone to be 100% committed to us,” said Flick.
Cancelo has an advantage in Flick’s thinking because the two worked together previously and the Barcelona manager is already familiar with the defender’s qualities. Although Cancelo’s established position throughout his career has been right-back, Flick also used him on the left during their first spell together at the club.
That experiment proved successful, with Cancelo making a strong contribution from the unfamiliar side of the defence. His ability to operate in both full-back roles gives Flick an additional tactical option as Barcelona prepare to face Elche.
Flick has spoken positively about the Portuguese player’s technical ability and attitude.
“He has great technique, he has a lot of passion and he gave us a lot in the position he played,” said Flick. “He was always in the right position and at his best level, and he helped us a lot.”
The German manager also removed any doubt over Cancelo’s physical condition, confirming that the defender is ready to feature after training normally with the rest of the squad from the first day.
“He is ready to play, and yes, he can play tomorrow,” said Flick.
That assessment underlines the confidence Flick has in Cancelo’s ability to return quickly to competitive football, despite his limited time back in Barcelona training. Whether he begins the match or comes on from the bench, his availability gives the manager another experienced option in defence.
Cancelo completed a contract with Barcelona until 2029 after ending his association with Al Hilal. The transfer was subject to several complications before it was finalised, but the player made clear during his official presentation that returning to the Catalan club had remained his priority.
“The past few weeks have been difficult,” Cancelo said, while insisting that he had focused on one objective: going back to Barcelona. He added that he would have been willing to remain in Saudi Arabia without playing for a year if that had been the price of fulfilling his ambition to return to the club.
