English Premier League
FIFA dismissal sends ‘deeply troubling message’, says UEFA vice-president
The dismissal of FIFA chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has intensified tensions within world football, with UEFA vice-president Laura McAllister warning that the decision sends a “deeply troubling message to anyone seeking change”.
FIFA confirmed Lamour’s departure on Monday evening, just over two weeks after he told the Associated Press that the organisation’s management had been misled by president Gianni Infantino over a plan to sell a minority stake in a company responsible for running World Cup competitions to private-sector investors.
Lamour had described the proposed company as a “one-person project”. On the same day, senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned, increasing pressure on Infantino.
McAllister, who worked with Lamour when he was UEFA’s deputy general secretary, said she regarded him as an “honest and exemplary sports leader” and a trusted colleague.
“Kevin Lamour is a leader of strong principles, who courageously defends the values that should govern our work in football administration,” she said.
“His dismissal seriously weakens the governance of FIFA and undermines a unique opportunity to change the institution’s culture and redirect it towards sporting values, rather than simply commercial and financial objectives.”
McAllister added: “FIFA is not the president; it represents the entire football family. Global football needs strong and independent leaders who stand by their principles and speak out when necessary.”
She concluded: “Losing a leader of Kevin’s standing and competence sends a deeply troubling message to everyone seeking change.”
Dispute over private investment plan
Lamour did not attend a FIFA board meeting held in Morocco on 5 August, at which the board declared its full support for Infantino.
UEFA, together with the Asian Football Confederation and Concacaf, had accused Infantino of “deception” over the proposal to involve private investors. The allegation was made in an open letter signed by the presidents of the three confederations.
Several European football associations have also withdrawn their support for Infantino’s bid to seek another term as FIFA president at next year’s Congress.
The plan under discussion involved creating a company to manage the commercial and operational aspects of FIFA’s competitions, including the men’s and women’s World Cup. A minority stake in the company would have been sold to private-sector investors.
FIFA later announced that the plan had been abandoned. However, it said it would review the procedures followed in developing the proposal.
The organisation has not yet identified who will conduct that review.
The dispute has created a fresh challenge for Infantino’s leadership, with criticism focusing on both the way the investment plan was prepared and the lack of consultation with key football authorities.
McAllister’s intervention represents one of the strongest public criticisms from a senior UEFA figure since Lamour’s removal was announced. Her comments also place renewed emphasis on the wider question of governance within FIFA and whether the organisation’s commercial priorities are being balanced with the sporting values its confederations say should guide its work.
